Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Finding your tempo

I just started a book called In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed. Very interesting so far!

Bottom line: it's about balance. It's not about finding out how fast or slow you can live and still get by. It's about challenging the cultural shift that has taken place globally to speed up the pace of everything we do.

It's not about how to live life without deadlines. It's about how to find your rhythm and tempo in life so that we're not dying inside while everything around us progresses at warp speed.

While we all have our own tempo, nobody can truly sustain all of life at the speed at which life currently moves for us all. God made us in such a way that rest is necessary, regardless of how any of us may feel about how much time there is or isn't for it.

There are some things in life that CANNOT be rushed!

1 comment:

Sherene said...

I like the sound of that book. I have been finding that rest is something the Lord is pleased with in His children. During this time of Lent, I have rediscovered the importance of silence. Instead of filling my world with noise, I am filling it with pockets of silence. It's refreshing. In the silence, the Lord speaks volumes and slows down my pace.